Stay Local, Stay Protected

Our proven attorneys have over 40 years of combined experience.

Can you get compensation from a driver with no insurance?

If you are in a wreck with a driver who does not have automobile insurance, you may wonder about your options for recovering the compensation you deserve.

A collision with an uninsured motorist can leave you with expensive medical bills and vehicle repair costs.

How does car accident fault affect your compensation?

Pennsylvania is a “choice no-fault” state that gives drivers an option regarding the type of insurance they buy. Motorists can select a no-fault (limited tort) policy or a fault (full tort) plan.

Limited tort insurance coverage means that everyone involved in a car crash recovers compensation from their own insurance carriers. This policy type covers lost wages and medical bills related to the incident but does not compensate for pain and suffering. No-fault insurance also limits your ability to file a lawsuit.

Full tort policies are more expensive insurance policies but give you additional options for recovering compensation. This type of insurance allows you to file a claim with the negligent driver’s insurance carrier. In addition, you can sue for pain and suffering damages caused by the collision.

How can you recover your accident expenses?

When your plan includes uninsured motorist coverage, you can file a claim with your insurance company. This process is the simplest way to obtain reimbursement for your financial losses. However, if you do not have this type of coverage, you may need to pursue litigation.

You can seek to hold the other driver responsible for your bodily damages by filing a personal injury lawsuit. Getting the compensation to cover your expenses requires a thorough understanding of Pennsylvania’s personal injury laws, insurance rules and court processes.

Motor vehicle accidents can leave you with tremendous expenses. When you understand your legal options, you improve your chances of recovery.